Monday, January 11, 2010

Yummy Tortilla Soup Recipe

One of my New Years' Resolutions is to get more creative and courageous in the kitchen.  While this recipe isn't hard AT ALL, I am proud because I have made it twice now and I am slowly building my confidence in the kitchen.  I got it out of my Bride & Groom Cookbook from Better Homes that my Mom gave us. They have lots of great recipes! Give it a try if you want a quick, easy and very yummy tortilla soup recipe! Enjoy! Stay tuned for my next recipe...Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole...can you see a pattern? I love Mexican food!

Tex-Mex Tortilla Soup (Makes 6 main-dish servings)

1 – 1 ¼ pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breast halves (I use the breast halves)
3 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
½ cup chopped onion
¼ cup chopped green sweet pepper
1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
3 cups tortilla chips, coarsely crushed
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1 avocado, seeded, peeled and cut into chunks (optional)
Snipped fresh cilantro and/or sliced fresh jalapeno chile pepper
Lime wedges (optional)


  1. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces; set aside. In a 4-quart pot combine broth, undrained tomatoes, onion, sweet pepper, chili powder, cumin and black pepper.  Bring to boiling; add chicken.  Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.  Add corn. Return to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer covered for 10 minutes more.
  2. Sprinkle each serving with tortilla chips and cheese.  If desired, serve with avocado chunks, snipped cilantro, sliced jalapenos and lime wedges.  (I usually just do the avocado and cilantro because the jalapenos are too hot for Kylie



No comments: